Friday, May 6, 2011

Interview: Celebrity Shoe Designer Brian Atwood visits Saks Fifth Avenue at Bal Harbour

Forget diamonds! I say shoes are a woman's best friend and I'm sure there are many who would agree. Last week I had the pleasure of interviewing Brian Atwood, a celebrity shoe designer. From sketching ideas to producing his elegant masterpieces, it is evident why celebs and trendsetters flock to his new collections. On Wednesday, April 27th, I met Brian before his grand event that day which was hosted by Miami Magazine and Saks Fifth Avenue at the Bal Harbour Shops. Brian made a personal appearance and autographed shoes for those who purchased his sassy heels during the event. There were cocktails, shoes and plenty of familiar faces who attended that night [like Lea Black from The Real Housewives of Miami]. If you weren't able to meet Brian at Saks, check out a recap video [produced by the Bal Harbour Shops] at the bottom.

MBS: How would you describe this summer's Brian Atwood collection?
BA: There are some ethnic touches to the collection. Gorgeous spring colors. With me, you always find some kind of seventies, glamour, disco element in the shoes. You're always going to find high stilettos and platforms as well. Fun shoes that Miami women will definitely feel sexy wearing.

MBS: Are you involved with any philanthropic organizations? If so, why?
BA: We are collaborating with the CFDA [Council of Fashion Designers of America] and their "Fashion and Friends for Japan" campaign to raise funds for Japan. We always give back. Whenever we can help and do something for the good of others, we do.

MBS: In your mind, what components are absolutely necessary for a sexy shoe?
BA: Absolutely necessary. Well, besides an extremely high heel [a must], I would say color. I think color is sexy and you can have so much fun with it. Color really does something to people and it gives great energy as well.

MBS: Are you a fan of social media?
BA: I do have a Facebook Page that we constantly update. I also have a Twitter account and that's all me! Nowadays, you have to keep up with social media.

MBS: What do you think is important for up and coming shoe designers to keep in mind in order to be successful?
BA: I think they have to be true to themselves and know what they want to do. Never compromise what you love to do. Whether people think your designs are ugly, there's always a customer for you so know your customers!

MBS:
When you're in Miami, what do you love to do and what are your favorite hot spots?
BA: I love to go to the beach. I love Mr. Chow's at the W Hotel. I love The Webster to shop. When I come to Miami, I really just love to hang out and have a good time.
Link
All photos were provided by Anthony Jordon, Jr. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment